Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Breath, Eyes, Memory: Character Use

Every time a new character comes into the story, I find myself taking note of a lot of things.  Like what I picture them to look like, remembering their name, who their family is and what their relation is to the main character.  After getting well into a book I occasionally start to get confused and wonder if these new characters are necessary for the story to move along.  For example I had thought of this when Eliab was introduced.  When Eliab is introduced on page 121 it is halfway through the book.  I had begun to question the importance of this character and why Edwidge Danticat had put Eliab in.  But then later in the story I realized the use of Eliab.

The kite boy Eliab reflected upon Sophie’s story thus far.  When Eliab is first introduced he is attempting to fly his kite (p.96).  Later in the book, shortly after Sophie learns of his name he gets his kite into the air, but it gets cut down by another.  He ends up breaking down and crying at the loss of his kite (p.130).  Elaib’s little story reflects Sophie’s story arc so far: She wasn’t faring well with her relationship with Joseph at home along with her now non-existent relationship with her mother.  Then she talks with her grandmother about her troubles with Joseph.  Then as things are starting to look up, problems arise one again. 

Every character has a purpose to help move along the story and help the other characters through the lines in their arcs.  It is fun to create different characters, but they all contribute to the story.

2 comments:

  1. I think that it was really interesting how you found the parallell between Sophie and Elaib. I too was wondering what was the significane of his character in the story and I never would of thought of this connection. Now seeing this comparison I have to say I agree with your connection between this child and Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With as few characters as there are in this book I think it is important to contemplate the meaning behind each one. I too questioned Eliab's purpose when he was introduced. He seemed almost meaningless which made me question him more.

    ReplyDelete